If you want Good Juju, consider following these three simple rules in life.
In an earlier post, I mentioned I was inspired by a woman who paid it forward 45 times on her birthday (one good deed for each year she had lived). Well, today, it is my birthday and I plan on paying it forward 42 times. I am flying to Las Vegas so I figure this should be easy. Between the airport, cab rides, hotels and busy casinos, I expect to encounter many ways to make people happy and spread Good Juju!
Smiling is a great way to spread Good Juju. When you smile, you not only feel better, but it’s contagious to those around you. Here are 10 reasons why you should smile:
1. Smiling makes us more attractive. Let’s face it, if you walk around with a frown, you push people away. Smile and others are drawn to you.
2. Smiling changes your mood. If you are feeling down, try to smile. Chances are, you’ll start feeling better.
3. Smiling is contagious. Ever notice how when others are smiling, they lighten up the room? Smile a lot and you will draw happy people.
4. Smiling relieves stress. If you smile, you look less tired and overwhelmed. If you are stressed, force yourself to smile. It should help reduce your stress and make you feel better.
5. Smiling boosts the immune system. When you smile, your immune system improves – probably because you are more relaxed.
6. Smiling lowers blood pressure. When you smile, there is a measurable reduction in your blood pressure. If you have a monitor at home, check it out. Sit for a few minutes, take a reading. Then, smile for a minute and take another reading. Compare the difference.
7. Smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers and serotonin. Studies show that smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers and serotonin. All of these help us feel better.
8. Smiling lifts the face and makes you look younger. When we smile, we use muscles to smile, which lift the face and makes us appear more youthful.
9. Smiling makes you seem successful. When you smile, you appear more confident and as a result are more likely to get promoted or approached for opportunities. Put a smile on your face and watch how people will react to you differently.
10. Smiling helps you stay positive. Try this: Think of something negative without losing the smile. It’s hard. When we smile, we send the rest of our body the message that life is good. Stay away from depression, stress and worrying by smiling.
*10 reasons to smile from Mark Stibich, PH.D
One of my favorite quotes is “Be the change you wish to see in the world”. In life, you have a choice. You can complain about the people and the circumstances that surround you. Or, you can be proactive and challenge yourself to be positive and make a difference in the lives of others and your community. If you do this, you’ll be creating Good Juju which will benefit not only yourself, but those around you.