Smiling is a great way to spread Good Juju. When you smile, you not only feel better, but it’s contagious to those around you. Here are 10 reasons why you should smile:
1. Smiling makes us more attractive. Let’s face it, if you walk around with a frown, you push people away. Smile and others are drawn to you.
2. Smiling changes your mood. If you are feeling down, try to smile. Chances are, you’ll start feeling better.
3. Smiling is contagious. Ever notice how when others are smiling, they lighten up the room? Smile a lot and you will draw happy people.
4. Smiling relieves stress. If you smile, you look less tired and overwhelmed. If you are stressed, force yourself to smile. It should help reduce your stress and make you feel better.
5. Smiling boosts the immune system. When you smile, your immune system improves – probably because you are more relaxed.
6. Smiling lowers blood pressure. When you smile, there is a measurable reduction in your blood pressure. If you have a monitor at home, check it out. Sit for a few minutes, take a reading. Then, smile for a minute and take another reading. Compare the difference.
7. Smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers and serotonin. Studies show that smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers and serotonin. All of these help us feel better.
8. Smiling lifts the face and makes you look younger. When we smile, we use muscles to smile, which lift the face and makes us appear more youthful.
9. Smiling makes you seem successful. When you smile, you appear more confident and as a result are more likely to get promoted or approached for opportunities. Put a smile on your face and watch how people will react to you differently.
10. Smiling helps you stay positive. Try this: Think of something negative without losing the smile. It’s hard. When we smile, we send the rest of our body the message that life is good. Stay away from depression, stress and worrying by smiling.
*10 reasons to smile from Mark Stibich, PH.D