Today, Good Juju is having a bad day. Our website was hacked so our webmaster is working hard to fix the problem. In light of the current situation, we’re trying to have a Good Bad Day. We found these tips on the Happiness Project’s website. We plan on following their advice.
1. Exercise. Exercise is a key element to managing moods. It calms and energizes at the same time. Its rituals are comforting. It’s productive but not intellectually or socially demanding. Also, exercise is so obviously a key to good health that if we manage to exercise, we feel like we’re doing something worthwhile, no matter what else happens.
2. Do something nice for someone else. The first part of the Second Splendid Truth is “One of the best ways to make yourself happy is to make other people happy” (also known as the “Do good, feel good” provision).
3. Stop ruminating. Our inclination is to go over and over the details of the upsetting episode and to conduct imaginary arguments. Instead, try to keep your resolution to find an area of refuge. Studies show that dwelling on negative thoughts amplifies their power in your mind. In fact, some researchers suggest that a reason that more women suffer depression than men is that women are more likely to “overthink,” while men are better at distracting themselves from negative thoughts.
4. Connect with someone important to you.
5. Tackle a nagging task. Crossing things off a to-do list is energizing and cheering. Take the time to clear your desk – not just physically removing piles of papers, but also doing the tasks that the papers represented. This will give you a feeling of control and accomplishment.
6. Do something silly and lighthearted with your children.
7. Act the way you want to feel. Research shows that although we think that we act because of the way we feel, in fact, we often feel because of the way we act.
8. Ask for help.
9. Go to sleep early. It’s true, everything does look better in the morning. Getting enough sleep just makes a tremendous difference to happiness.
And, we’re going to add our own reason to have a Good Bad Day.
10. Find the Joy in the Journey. Below is a picture of one of our shirts that features this saying. Today, we’re reminded to find the joy in light of hackers :).